Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Single Winter Season Attempt of the White Mountain 4000 Footers

Hi everyone! This winter I will attempt to climb all forty-eight 4000 footers in this year's single winter season. Along the way, I anticipate finishing my regular winter 48 list and my 3rd complete round of the 48. Another interesting one is I have six peaks remaining to have hiked each of the 48 solo. This should be an interesting winter, and I invite you to follow along.

Before we talk about accomplishing these goals, lets talk about winter hiking in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Miriam Underhill, a great American climber, composed a description of some of the major challenges faced by those who climb these peaks in winter. From an article in the December 15, 1967 issue of Appalachia, and taken from the 48 in One Winter website:
"In winter there is no footpath visible under the snow and, particularly in open hardwoods, finding the route may be a puzzle. Winter is colder; you can take only the briefest of rests, no more of those sybaritic siestas, stretched out on the warm, soft ground. Days are shorter. The rucksack is heavier with all those extra clothes, not to mention the crampons clanking away and the ice-axe. Then there's the business of finding water, which is more of a problem than in summer, with the rills trickling around here and there. At first it may seem strange but dehydration is a more serious concern in winter. Every breath you exhale carries away a lot of good moisture which the inhaled air, cold and so dry, cannot replace. Add to this the fact that the water in your canteen, as well as the sandwiches in your pack, are all too likely to be frozen rock-hard. Unless, that is, you have been careful to carry them under your outer garments, close to your body, where they will be tangled up with your camera and films. And these do not like to get too cold either. Most of all, the real work of breaking trail in deep or heavy snow, or kicking steps up steep slopes, is often considerable."
Perfectly summed up, I'd say. With 22 of the 48 peaks already under my belt once in winter, I'm familiar with these scenarios in some capacity. My water has been frozen before when I needed it; I've lost the trail and made wrong turns, and I've snow-shoed unbroken trail in temperatures well below zero. But - what will it be like to push myself 200 miles and 60,000 feet of elevation gain up and over 48 summits in just 3 months (or less) through these conditions? I'm going to find out!

I've set up a page for this quest. You can click here, or always navigate to it from the top of my page. Check in often to see my progress, and you can check out my latest location via the Spot Messenger.

I am intrigued by this challenge. I know that it will be extremely difficult, but I'm hoping that it will be a lot of fun at the same time, and I can share some amazing sights. To get you ready for the journey, I've put together the video below from my previous winter climbs as a little inspiration for myself, and perhaps for many of you, as I know that I'm not the only one who is planning this, am I right? Stay safe, and I'll see you on the trail!

Are you ready for Winter?




Video highlights:
Clip 1: Franconia Ridge Traverse - unbroken trail / Clip 2: Tuckerman Ravine, the very moment I made it to the top...safe / Clip 3: Tuckerman Ravine, action shot above the ravine, on way to summit / Clip 4-5: Solo Presi; Madison / Clip 6: Solo Presi; Star Lake Trail to Adams, blowing snow / Clip 7: Solo Presi; Star Lake Trail to Adams, blowing snow; see Madison WAY below (Awesomeness!) / Clip 8: Solo Presi; Star Lake Trail to Adams, blowing snow / Clip 9: Solo Presi; Adams Summit / Clip 10: Solo Presi: action shot headed to Clay / Clip 11: Solo Presi; approaching Mt. Washington / Clip 12: Descending Mt. Washington on New Year's Eve near Lion's Head / Clip 13: Ascending north slide of Tripyramid with Washington in the background / Clip 14: Glissading Tripyramid's south slide


12 comments:

  1. An incredible and motivating goal for this winter! I wish you well on this great adventure! I'll be following you...on your blog and not on the trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don - Thank you very much. I'm looking forward to getting started!

      Delete
  2. Good luck Dan! I know you can make it happen. We'll be happy to just get up north a few times and snag some new peaks this winter. Heading to the Roadhouse in Stratton ME for 5 days after Christmas to get started. Looking forward to a great winter and following yours.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark! That sounds like fun. I can tell you that I'll be going like mad in the days following Christmas too! Its going to be exciting.

      Delete
  3. Best of luck to you Dan, May God keep you in his hands. I will be following this blog your Dad sent me. take care and God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated.

      Delete
  4. Good luck Dan! Maybe I'll see you out and about on the trails this winter. I haven't committed myself to a single season attempt yet, but I have committed to getting my 33 remaining peaks out of the way!

    Cheers,

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill, thanks a bunch! Nice blog yourself. I've seen some of your nice photos on FB recently. Keep up the good hikes! With me at 22 winter peaks, I also still have a good chunk to go for the first time in winter on this journey.

      Delete
  5. Good luck - I'm looking forward to the trip reports! I need to finish up the remaining 25 that I have on the list and then maybe think about a 48-in-1 another year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! So we're in about the same spot in terms of winter peaks! I like how there are still a lot of peaks I haven't been to in winter yet for this adventure. I had a good time doing winter hiking last year without a set goal.

      Delete
  6. Have a fun time doing the 48 in 1. Hope you get some great weather with awesome views for the above treeline hikes and some epic trailbreaking adventures below treeline. Keep up the great picture taking. I'll keep my eye out for you on the trails!

    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris - Thank you. Good to hear from you and appreciate the well wishes. I'm excited for the epic-ness! Same here!

      Delete