Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Eve Winter Ascent of Mt. Washington

 
Happy New Year everyone!! It was an amazing year, and its time to celebrate it up, so this one is short! Today's New Year's Eve winter ascent of Mt. Washington was an incredible hike. Despite the low visibility, conditions were great and consistent throughout the hike. I finally got to use my crampons and ice axe, and overall it was a pretty easy ascent up the summer Lions Head Trail, which I did in October and November. Of course, I knew I would be hiking it New Year's Eve back in October. It was great hiking with my friend Mike and his girlfriend Nicole. It was Nicole's first ever NH 4000-footer, and for each of us the first time to Mt. Washington in winter. Enjoy the pictures, and we'll see you in 2012!!!
Braving a moment of heavy snow
Me .2 from the summit

Three great accomplishments!
I'll be back this winter!
View the album below for photos from every segment of the hike. I have some fun glissading videos I hope to post this week.




Hike Stats
Trails: Tuckerman Ravine Trail, Lion Head Trail
Distance: 8.4 miles
Elevation Gain: 4,300 feet
Book Time: 9hrs

1 comment: