Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Mt. Moriah & Mt. Surprise - 12/18/11



On Sunday, December 18th, it was absolutely frigid, but beautifully clear and calm for our hike over Mt. Surprise to Mt. Moriah on the Carter-Moriah Trail. I was joined by my brother and our friend Rachel. We bare booted for about a mile and a half until Microspikes became necessary as we ascended towards the ledges. The Presidentials peeked through the leaf-less trees to our right, which was a nice touch before reaching the ledges.

The views were spectacular from the ledges on Surprise and from the summit of Mt. Moriah. Mt. Moriah was Bill's 44th peak, and for me, it was my 36th Trailwright and 89th 4000-footer I've climbed since the start of 2011.



Here is a short video which shows a one minute panorama from Mt. Moriah, and 3 quick glissades of mine descending the Carter-Moriah Trail - What fun!


Hike Stats
Trails: Carter-Moriah Trail
Distance: 9 miles
Elevation Gain: 3,400 ft
Book Time: 7hrs

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of snow covered trees! Looks like a great hike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hardened snow on the trees in the view from the summit definitely was a nice feature to the already great view, it was unique sight compared to the view I had in July.

    ReplyDelete