Sunday, January 1, 2012

What's next for DMOutdoors in 2012?

Happy New Year! In 2012, I am hoping to accomplish the AMC New England 4000 Footers and my 2nd round of the NH48. I have 18 left on round 2. I would also make good progress on the AMC New England 100 Highest.

Not all, but close to all my hikes this year, I have been fortunate to add an "X" to my 48x12 Grid for the White Mountain 4000 footers, where one hikes the peaks in each month of the year. Including only a couple of hikes prior to 2011, I've completed 16% of the grid, and will continue to fill in the blanks.

I've started to keep track of my redlining progress of the White Mountain Guide trails. I love trying different trails to the peaks. To date, I've only covered a small amount of the mileage in the guide, which consists mostly of the long trails (Garfield Ridge, Gulfside, Twinway, Bondcliff, Carter-Moriah, etc). There are hundreds of trails, some  just a few tenths of a mile!

In 2010, I completed sections 19-22 of the Metacomet-Monadnock Trail in the Berkshires (MA). Perhaps in 2012, I will have an opportunity to finish that trail, do a section hike on the AT, or at least embark on an extended backpacking trip, which I have been wishing for the opportunity for (ie. 100-mile wilderness).

Along my journey to the top of many of New England's highest peaks, some have been easy and some have been difficult (I know the peaks in ME will be challenging). After this year, I admit, there is a desire to start reaching for new heights. To satisfy that, this year I will place my name into the annual lottery and attempt to summit the highest peak in the lower United States, Mt. Whitney at 14,505 feet. Should the opportunity arise when I am out west for a planned trip in June, maybe I will try to get Nevada's high point too. We'll see what the year actually brings, but I hope to continue living adventurously and sharing it with all of you.

Some Other things I've been thinking about...
AMC 48 WM 4000 Footers in 1 calendar winter (not this year)
Winter Presidential Traverse
More overnight backpacking
More winter camping
Explore some smaller peaks
Becoming a Trail Adopter
Becoming Wilderness First Aid Certified (WFA)

Thank you to everyone who has followed along or stopped to view my blog in 2011. I would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year, and may it be full of happiness, and whatever you are setting out do do, may it be accomplished.

Regards,

Dan
DMOutdoors

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, Dan! Dream big or don't dream at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Owen, Thanks! I have to agree, setting a goal worked well in 2011 for me, so why not shoot for something in 2012. I'm looking forward to start planning some hikes for the other lists, like NEHH. After the last two weekends, I really love being above tree-line though.

    ReplyDelete