Friday, May 22, 2015

Mt. Carrigain - 5-20-15


After finishing up my hike to Whiteface, I quickly headed to my next target, Mt. Carrigain.  On the way, I saw a deer off to the right, and then just a few minutes later, a good-sized bear crossed quickly in front of my car.  It's a little interesting having seen that, and knowing I'm about to hike Carrigain just after the sun has gone down.  Well, in all my hikes night or day, I've only seen bears on the road, so what's to worry. The night time woods are awesome.

It was about 9:20pm when I started my hike to Carrigan.  It in the 40s, so I had put on a thin baselayer under my shorts, and wore a long-sleeved wicking shirt.  Feeling strong, I maintained a solid pace on the ascent, reaching the summit in about two hours.  Just like the afternoon on Whiteface, the skies were clear, but the stars were now plentiful for my traverse of Signal Ridge and visit to the summit tower for a brief couple of minutes.
 
Signal Ridge 
Arriving at the summit 
Mt. Carrigain - 10th Round 
Looking out into the night over the Pemigewasset Wilderness
Highlights:
Carrigain - 10th Round
110th 4,000-footer of 2015
2nd night hike to Carrigain in 2015
Did not see another person.

Trail Conditions:
The route was mostly dry and only a few sporadic patches of monorail or ice remain approaching the ridge, and just beyond Signal Ridge going to the summit.  The patches were either hard or avoidable, and microspikes were not necessary.  The river crossing was just tame enough to find rocks to cross.  Another inch or two would mean partially submerged soles to rock hop.  Overall nice trail conditions.

Hike Stats
Trails: Signal Ridge Trail
Distance: 10 miles
Elevation Gain: 3,3473 ft.
Actual Book Time: 4:04
Garmin Adventure Link
Photo Album Link

No comments:

Post a Comment