Sunday, April 29, 2012

Mt. Tecumseh 4/28/12

Holy Tripoli! On Saturday, it was a really beautiful hike to Mt. Tecumseh from Tripoli Road. This would be my third time to the summit. I scoped it out that the road was open first, so I thought I would red-line the Tecumseh Trail finally and try this side, plus it is closer to the highway, and Tecumseh wasn't my only target for the day. At 6:45am, there was no else at the lot. Right away, I saw the brook at the start of the trail was just higher than all of the stones, so I had to go left about 15 feet to find a suitable spot, but I still dipped my toe a bit, but that had nothing on my brand new Keen Targhee's.
Mt. Tecumseh Trail at Tripoli Road
Brook crossing on Tecumseh Trail
Coming from this side, it was far more enjoyable than coming from the Waterville Valley side, plus you don't have to look at any commercialization. The trail was really beautiful. A fresh untouched dusting of snow sat beneath a clearing, brightening sky on this morning. I didn't mind the extra 400' up and down, actually it was a very welcomed change for Tecumseh. I was just cruising along.



I arrived at the summit, and it was windy and cold. I really liked the approach too, looking at the cairn through the trees as you reach the top. The view was incredible, especially for an overcast sky. I was impressed and pleased. I didn't linger, it was cold, so I kept moving and cruised back to the car in a nice 2hrs 8 min. It was a great warm-up for the day after 3 weeks off, because Moosilauke was next.


Hike Stats
Trails: Tecumseh Trail (from Tripoli Road)
Distance: 6.2 miles
Elevation Gain: 2,600 ft
Book Time: 2hrs 8min

No comments:

Post a Comment