Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Quest for NH's 48

Looking back at Madison Hut - 2010
So...it's January 1st, and after a 2010 full of a variety of outdoor activities, I've decided to set the goal of hiking all 48 of NH's 4000 foot mountains before 2012. It seems as if my previous hikes, including 3 of the 4000 footers, have lead me to establish this goal. I know that there are many more majestic views of nature to match the ones I've already seen. Some will be from the mountaintops, and certainly and hopefully, some great ones from within the trees and at camp. I'm not sure what it is, but when you reach the top of a mountain, you get a certain feeling of accomplishment, and while I have the ability to do these things with my free time, for now, I've chosen the outdoors to be my challenge. Each hike is different poses a different challenge each time. Right now, many miles of hiking, elevation gain, fighting the elements and all of the known dangers of the White Mountains stand in my way.

I know that this will not be easy. Split up evenly, it would require I summit 4 mountains per month without traverses, and not all can be traversed. In order to provide myself the best opportunity to complete this goal I've got to get started right away. Right away comes later this month, smack dab in the middle of winter, as I hope to begin this quest. I shall leave you with the element of surprise for my plans for now...

Be sure to check out my Quest for NH 48 page, which I have also just published today. I have created this page to track my progress. I will publish a post for each summit. Along the way, it should provide me an opportunity to keep updating my gear page with new pictures and videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment