Saturday, January 29, 2011

Gear Page Update #1

I decided that I would inform you of my gear page updates as posts so that my readers will know when I make an update to that page. As I've stated on my My Gear page, I'm hoping to be able to show a picture or video of each product in use. This is basically a fun addition to my site, and I hope to continue filling up that page with links.

Today, I've added 3 videos to my gear page showing the use of Kahtoola Microspikes, the Keen Targhee II Mid hiking boots, and the REI OXT Tech Tee.

The Keen Targhee Mid II Hiking Boots are great. They are very lightweight and are waterproof. I have used these in spring, summer, and fall, and have also hiked in a few inches of snow with them. The waterproof capability of these boots is great; I can only recall a few times when I noticed my sock getting wet. The video below shows them put to use on the Rocky Branch Trail in October of 2010. The trail was basically a river, and while I successfully rock-hop the trail in this clip, you can see my boots are soaked and not slowing me down.



I got the Kahtoola MICROspikes for Christmas this year, and I can see what all the craze is about. These things are fantastic when it comes to climbing up an icy mountain. On New Year's Eve this year, I hiked Mt. Monadnock, using the spikes for the first time. The trails were packed out below, but the ice on the top of the mountain made it necessary for me to have these on. Right away, I could feel the power these things have. This video is a great example of the ability of Kahtoola's Microspikes.





The REI OXT Tech Tee comes with me on every single trip, whether its kayaking, hiking, or working outside. Its basically my first layer, unless I have my REI base layer on. In the video below, I am wearing it as I paddle with my brother down the Pow Wow River. Its comfortable and airy, and keeps me dry, and also dries quickly.



If you have not checked out my gear page, please do, as I already have some cool videos and pictures of me using my gear. I'm certainly open to any questions or comments anyone has on these products. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment